Dogs For Sale Online In Perth
The rise of internet marketplaces such as Gumtree, Quokka and now even on Facebook, has made it so easy for us to find dogs for sale in Perth! However, to make sure that your new fur baby is happy and healthy when they come to live with you, the below guide can help you not fall into an unfortunate trap that may be heartbreaking to your family- not to mention very expensive.
Dogs For Sale… That Don’t Exist!
Buying online might be convenient but there are a few red flags you must watch out for, one of them being Puppy Scams which have become more common. The ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Commission) has received over 600 reports of puppy scams in 2017 (nearly $300,000 lost by would be buyers).
Puppy scams involve online listings that are designed to trick you into paying for a dog for sale, that doesn’t exist. The listings often claim to have pedigree puppies for sale cheap or even for free, and offer to ship the puppy to your door. These scams usually require that payment is through electronic fund transfer however in the end no puppy is supplied and the payment is virtually impossible to trace.
Watch Out For Cruel Puppy Mills
Dog breeders are now cutting out the pet-store middleman, but this can mean that these poor dogs for sale are housed in cramped, dirty conditions without veterinary care, food, water or socialization- with the breeders main goal to breed as quickly and get them out as quick as possible. You don’t want to fund or encourage this cruel behaviour!
Tips For Buying A Dog For Sale Online In Perth
So, you have done online research and have found a dog for sale in Perth that you are interested in- how do you know if it is a scam or not? The below tips will help you verify this and hopefully catch out any scammers before any money is exchanged.
- If looking at an online listing- check for inconsistency, spelling errors and quality of images- especially if to list on the website is free!
- Request personalised photos from the seller and even require a specific item (that you suggest) to be in the photo. If they refuse or make excuses- then this is a red flag!
- If you are told that there will be no refunds for a sick puppy, you are most likely dealing with a puppy mill. A reputable breeder will always take a sick puppy back.
- If the seller insists you use Western Union or other money transfer services, beware. This type of payment offers no protection.
- Contact the dog seller via email or phone but only use email as the initial form of contact. Speak to the seller on the phone more than once.
- Look out for membership numbers for dog breeder associations (they are legally required to display them).
- Check the breeder’s web presence (including googling their email address) to see if there are any warnings.
- Visit the breeder! A good one will be more than happy to offer you a tour and make sure you are happy with the environment that the dog was bred into.
- Check the dog for sale’s temperament for any signs of mistreatment.
- Use this opportunity to look at the other dogs for sale as well as the mother and father of your puppy (if they are available) to see what their behaviour is like.
- If the dog seller wants to ship you your dog, or wants to meet at a random location- that’s another red flag!
- Check references, including others who have purchased other dogs for sale from this breeder and the veterinarian the breeder works with. If you can’t find any, ask the breeder for one. If they don’t give you one- that’s a no brainer!
Adopt, Not Shop!
We would encourage you to save the life of a rescue dog in Perth- instead of buying online from the eastern states and beyond.
There are thousands of dogs for sale in Perth waiting for good homes- including purebreds! There are also many reputable breed rescue groups passionate about finding great homes dogs who have been abandoned or abused.
If you would rather get your new dog from a pet rescue, we’ve listed a few organisations in a previous blog post which you can find here: Pet Rescue Organisations in Perth.
Now It’s Time To Train Your Dog
If you have just bought a new fur member of the family into your home, congratulations! If you are after high quality pet services then look no further than West Coast Pet Care Centre. We are the best in Perth when it comes to dog training and our dog boarding and our features include:
- A pet taxi service available for pick up and drop off
- High quality and luxurious dog hotel facilities
- Convenient location for boarding if travelling up and back from the northern corridor
- One of Perth’s only in-house dog training programs
- Specialists in puppy training, obedience and dealing with rescue and troubled dogs
Contact us today to book your dog in for boarding or training today.