Want to teach your dog to sit?
Easy! Just follow the instructions in our video.
Teaching your dog how to sit is one of the first commands a dog should learn. It is one of the easiest to teach and it’s a great first step for both owners and dogs.
You will learn how food can be a great tool when it comes to asking for a little attention from your dog.
Your furry friend, on the other hand, will get familiar with the fact that, in order to get a tasty reward, he has to do a little something for you. This will make it easier the next time you want to teach him something new. A perfect win-win situation!
The easiest way to teach your dog to sit is by getting them to follow a treat until they’re in the right position.
- Start with the treat directly in front of your puppy’s nose while they’re standing
- Then slowly bring the treat backwards over their head.
- Make sure your dog’s nose is following the treat.
You will find their head will tilt upwards and their bottom will lower to the ground.
- Now you can tell them “good” and give them the treat.
- Once your dog is consistently following the treat into a sit position you can begin to introduce the command sit while they’re doing it.
- After a few repetitions try to slowly anticipate the command sit until your dog gets into a sit position without having to follow the treat.
Easy as that!
Pick a word that you would usually use to compliment them, like “good” or “good girl/boy”. This will help your dog associate that word with positive behaviour and it will make your life easier in future, when you want to reinforce any good action.
You can let your dog sniff and lick the treat if he is the distracted type, but don’t reward him before he gets into the sitting position.